Dale A. Cohen primarily concentrates her practice on domestic and international franchising, distribution and licensing law. Ms. Cohen advises both emerging and mature companies with respect to planning, structuring and implementing their franchise, distribution and licensing programs. Her experience includes drafting franchise, master franchise, license and distribution agreements; preparing franchise disclosure documents (FDDs); securing registration of franchise offerings in the U.S. and abroad; negotiating and structuring complex system-wide supplier arrangements, as well as drafting agreements memorializing such system-wide supplier arrangements; implementing compliance programs and system-wide standards; and, counseling franchisors on a variety of franchise relationship issues, such as franchise termination and strategies to avoid and resolve franchisee disputes.
Ms. Cohen’s practice also concentrates on franchise-related mergers and acquisitions (including assisting private equity firms with the purchase and sale of franchise systems); sophisticated franchise-related financing transactions (including the securitization of a franchisor’s royalty stream); and, general corporate law.
Ms. Cohen is a graduate of Fordham University School of Law, where she was a member of the International Law Journal, and a graduate of Emory University, where she was a member of Alpha Kappa Delta Honor Society, the Dean’s List and graduated with Highest Honors.
She is co-head of the firm’s international franchise practice.
Areas of Practice
- Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- General Corporate Matters and Business Counseling
- Commercial Transaction
- Regulatory and Compliance
- Mergers and Acquisitions and Financing Transactions
- Restaurant and Hospitality
- New York
- New Jersey
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York
- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Honors: Highest Honors
- Co-Author, "A Franchisor Is Not The Employer of Its Franchisees or Their Employees", Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 4, 2015
- Co-Author, "Basics Track: Registration & Disclosure, International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, Washington D.C. May , 2016
- Moderator, “Trademark and Internet Branding: Promoting and Defending a Franchise Reputation Online”, International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, Washington D.C., May, 2017
- Author, “Are Franchisees Now Employees of their Franchisor?”, The In-House Lawyer, Franchise & Licensing , September, 2019
- Author, “United States: Franchise & Licensing Comparative Guide”, The In-House Lawyer, Franchise & Licensing, September, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Metro Super Lawyers, "Rising Star"
- Listed, Franchise Times, “Legal Eagle”
- The Legal 500 Exclusive Contributor to the 2019 United States Franchise & Licensing Comparative Guide
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising)
- International Franchise Association, Legal Symposium Task Force Member, Member, 2017 to Present
- New York State Bar Association, Member